Types of Grants & Criteria
TYPES OF GRANTS
This grant is available to women and non-binary human rights defenders and organisations in Asia and the Pacific in order to respond to their immediate or time-urgent needs for security and well-being. It is intended for a person or organisation experiencing a threat or in case of emergency, crisis or risk due to their defence of women’s rights and human rights. It is also available for time-urgent needs for well-being such as psycho-social counselling, treatment for trauma, or medical assistance.
This grant is available to women and non-binary human rights defenders and organisations in Asia and the Pacific who – on their own or in collaboration with others – seek to implement an initiative, including an unanticipated opportunity, that would contribute towards resourcing resilience for women’s human rights and human rights activism.
Available Grant Amount
For each grantee, UAF A&P provides grants of up to USD $5,000 only. Subsequent applications from the same defender or organisation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please remember that the application must respond to either ONE of the grant types, and should meet its corresponding criteria.
When to Apply
We accept grant applications in any language, 365 days per year. We will respond to your request within 72 hours. However, proposals in languages other than English may require additional time for translation.
How to Apply
UAF A&P ONLY recognize Protonmail for email, and Signal for messaging. We encourage applicants and grantees to use these channels because of its encryption capabilities, and for other security and privacy reasons. Please send us your application and queries through the following email addresses:
- For grant application and inquiries, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For technical problems in using the online application, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page or send a message to email@example.com
- Delivery of Funds
Once a grant has been approved, the amount requested is usually delivered within 1 to 10 days.
- UAF A&P's Advisors
UAF A&P’s grant-making is informed by our roster of regional and country advisors whom we rely upon to assess recommended applications. Final decisions are communicated to each applicant after we have received endorsements from advisors.
- Requirement for Grantees
All grantees are required to submit final report on how each grant has been spent.
Each application will only be shared with UAF A&P’s advisors or trusted contacts (as needed). We respect and value the confidentiality required by any applicant, particularly in contexts where security is a concern.
UAF A&P DOES NOT FUND
- Cisgender males or Cisgender male-led organisations or networks;
- Individual requests without endorsement by an organisation, established community or established network affiliation or an UAF A&P advisor;
- Activities or projects for humanitarian crises or natural disasters;
- Activities or projects focused on development aid or charity assistance;
- Projects or activities that are part of the regular programmes of an organisation;
- Regular operating budgets and/or bridge funding (to fill a funding gap).
 Non-binary is an umbrella term referring to individuals whose gender identity and/or gender expression are not exclusively masculine or feminine, male or female — thus, are outside of the gender binary and cisnormativity. UAF A&P uses this term to encompass androgyny, polygender, genderqueer, gender fluid and a-gender individuals.
 Cisgender Males are individuals who identify as male and who were assigned male at birth.